Congratulations on wanting to skyrocket to the top. Hospitality is such a great enterprise. You need appropriate job-related skills, experience, ambition, and industry passion to further your career.
Below are fifteen hands-on tips that will make meeting your career goals so much easier:
- You will be noticed and appreciated when you mentor others with kindness and face work-related difficulties with poise.
- Attitude is everything. Everyone remembers the associate who comes through consistently.
- Career success is never earned either through envy or by compromising on quality. Earn a spotless reputation by being courteous and excelling in all that you do.
- Find a mentor and let this person and appropriate others know your career goals.
- Learn what your future career pathways may be by speaking with your Human Resources Representative.
- Think about what you need, and think about what your brand or property needs. You will be more successful if you develop expertise in one or more areas that are important to your brand.
- Read, ask questions, and attend training seminars.
- Go back to school if this will position you for a brighter future with the organization.
- Network within your community and bring in business.
- Know that YOU ARE YOUR BRAND in the eyes of the public.
- Applaud co-worker successes.
- When the right moment comes, follow your organization’s guidelines for applying for a position from within.
- Let your direct supervisor know what you are doing so that you are supported in your efforts.
- Be flexible. You create value when you are seen as adaptable.
- Finally, the guaranteed pathway to career success is to feel genuine pride in what you do and absolute joy in your profession.
Each of these 15 tips is closely related to your character and to the sterling industry-wide reputation which you are building for yourself and for your well-respected brand.
My wish for you is an amazing career in hospitality!
Excerpts of blog taken from the book: Hospitality Management – People Skills & Manners on and off the Job. Copyright © 2015 Lyn Pont, PhD
“Pont’s book is a must-read for anyone considering a career in hospitality.”
— Isadore Sharp, chairman and founder, Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts
See the book at: www.HospitalityManners.com
Visit Lyn at: www.MannersForBusiness.com
Lyn Pont, Ph.D. – World’s Top 30 Hospitality Professionals, 2016 – Global Gurus